Listed below are categories that will direct families to websites that provide a variety of information on topics relating to children and families that may be of interest to you.
Litterless Lunches @ Jackman
It's back to school time and you know what that means... packing school lunches and snacks. Ugh! What can Jackman parents do to make kids’ lunches more eco friendly? Here are some ideas to get you started…
1. Start with a reusable lunch bag.
2. Pack food in reusable containers. Even juice & water should go in reusable containers.
3. Reduce the use of store bought / packaged foods. Pre-packaged, single-serving foods create so much waste.
4. Reduce the use of disposables such as foil, plastic food wrap & plastic cutlery.
5. More fresh fruits & veggies. They can easily be cut into kid-friendly portions and placed in reusable containers.
6. Reuse ziploc bags.
Food for thought - Packing a littlerless lunch not only reduces waste, it’s often a healthier, cost-saving option for school lunches. Let’s be a community that makes responsible eco choices.
BOOMERANG LUNCH @ JACKMAN
Boomerang lunch... It's simple... what you bring to school for lunch is either eaten or returned to home. There are no garbage cans available in the lunch rooms.
1. Instead of ‘throwing out’ uneaten food, kids are asked to hold onto food to eat later. No waste.
2. Kids also take home unwanted food. This is done to spark a family conversation about food likes and dislikes. Changes to lunches may be needed. Less waste.
3. Any packaging that is used for lunches is also sent home. Hopefully this will spark another family conversation about reducing packaged foods. Pack a litterless lunch instead. Reducing waste.
At Jackman, we’re working to reduce our impact on the environment and that means reducing food waste. Boomerang lunch is a really good idea.
For more ideas on Waste Free Jackman check out our Eco Team blog:
Jackman Eco Team Blog: wastefreejackman.blogspot.ca